Welcome to the Discover Trance Forums

The Discover Trance Radio forum is a great place to discuss music, tracks, shows and issues with like minded individuals and other Trance fans, it is also a great way to keep in touch with the staff and Djs

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Interview 006 - Bjorn Akesson Options · View
DiscoverTrance
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 11:23:36 PM

This week I interviewed Swedish Dj-ing and producing sensation - Mr Bjorn Akesson...

Lou - Hey Bjorn!... So... You've had an awesome year for music - with 'Perfect Blue' being your most successful tune to date - getting rave reviews from the likes of JoC, Tiesto, Above and Beyond, and AvB (who's listeners voted it 18th in the ASOT end of year mix) - how different do you think your career would be now, if this track had not been released when it was?

Bjorn - It is a very important track for me, it's my biggest Akesson track up to date, I always see it as the cause of my breakthrough in the scene. My career would not be as successful if I didn't release it. I would not have as many gigs as I have now, and probably not as many remix requests. Hard to say of course, but its my flagship so far.

Lou - It's a truly great track though! Very, very well done! My favourite remix of yours is 'Destination' by DT8 - it has your signature sound - and it is most definitely one of my all-time tunes (in my Top 5!) and is a firm favourite, both new and old - with DT listeners... Tell us what it was like remixing such an already popular track...

Bjorn - Thank you very much! Not everyday you hear you are included in someone's all-time faves!... When I got the request from Mondo I got really excited and inspired as I saw it as a big chance to make it further in the scene. Remixing a classic is of course hard since there are going to be people that hate your remix, but also people that love it and appreciate your new touch to the track. What I wanted to do was something different, most producers here would make a copy of the track but using their sounds and production. I find that very boring since they won't really bring something new to the remix. Therefore I chose to make something very different from the original, so I added a completely new background music for the vocals, separating my mix from the rest. It was very hard and took a lot of time to remix it, remembering hot summery nights in the studio with my window open and cold water in my glass, trying to make my remix as hot as the temperature in my studio Smile

Lou - Awesome!! Well you definitely nailed that! Tell us about you radio show, 'Threshold'. Was it a natural progression onto radio from djing in clubs? and how is this show going to progress in 2009?

Bjorn - Well my radioshow is about the tracks that I like best at the moment, plus some older tracks that I think deserve to be heard once again! Radio is a little more different from clubs, but very fun to make. The show will continue in 2009 as you can see it already has.

Lou - Fantastic! Radio kind of gives you a different side to a dj, i feel... It's them as you know them, but in a different way... If you know what I mean?!... Anyway!... Define your sound for us. What do think your tracks represent about you as a person?

Bjorn - My sound is energetic and uplifting, and my goal has always been to send shivers down the spine of the listeners. I try to keep my sound very melodic and special with groovy beats backing up.

Lou - Ohhh.... I love the shivers... The goose bumps are also essential Smile Who were the dj idols you had when you first started mixing?

Bjorn - I don't really have any DJ idols, and I never had. However i have producing idols such as Svenson, Ferry Corsten, The Thrillseekers and Armin van Buuren.

Lou - Wicked - lots of big names there - and a few that I like as well! Where do you hope to be in 5 years time?

Bjorn - No idea, hopefully i' m finished with my education and enjoying the life as a fulltime working DJ and producer Smile

Lou - Haha, sounds good! The question that everyone asks, and most people may not answer... wink Do you get nervous before you play out at a gig?

Bjorn - When I first started playing at clubs I used to go up behind the decks with my pre-made set and my papers with tracklist and track info. And I used to shake and be very nervous. These days I just get a tingly feeling in my stomach and feeling the excitement of about to go and play. So to answer the question fully, I guess i get only a little nervous, but after a few tracks I get calmed down Smile

Lou - That's good to hear.. a bit of nerves are good to get you fired up to play Smile Lastly... please explain to the Discover Trance listeners about what a 'Fundrink' is.... wink

Bjorn - Haha, well its a cheap drink (about 1 euro) filled with vodka and energy drink... Very easy to get drunk on Smile

Lou - Awesome!... So... there you have it! Get out there, and ask for a fundrink everyone!! Thank you Bjorn, great to speak to you Smile

If you want to catch up with Bjorn, check out his website www.bjornakesson.com or his myspace - www.myspace.com/bjornakesson
Sponsor
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 11:23:36 PM
FireStorm
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 11:31:32 PM

What a really nice guy!!

So nice to see the real side to these DJs and I have to admit Akesson from the moment he started producing has been one of my faves, such uplifting melodic tunage from him.

Great job lou!

FireStorm
Show: Discover Trance Radio Show
Time: Every Saturday from 19:00 GMT
Xenomorph
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 1:59:18 PM

Interesting perspective of Dj look on Akkeson, thank you Lou again for nice interview Smile
Blu_Lou
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 6:25:11 PM

I thought the same, Fire! He was really chilled! and... i didn't realise how young he was!! I had this image of Akesson being older... as his stuff is sooooo goooood Smile

Not that age has anything to do with greatness, of course... I was just surprised cos I didn't realise... but yeh... nice guy to talk to... Smile

Glad you're liking Xeee Smile

Lxxx

The only limit to your dreams, is you.....

~ \o/ CHECK OUT THE LATEST INTERVIEWS, WITH ME, IN THE 'INTERVIEWS' SECTION... ENJOY!... \o/ ~
DJ Pusher
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 9:28:58 PM

WOW another awesome interview Lou, just keeps getting better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woooooooooooooot !!!

Dancing with spirit, Love your soul find your freedom.

www.youtube.com/user/PusherLIVE
Facebook.com
Myspace.com
Pushers DJ Biography
http://thedjlist.com/djs/THE_PUSHER/

Javs
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2009 5:20:52 PM

Cant be no less then Lou making the ppl look and feel so relaxed im sure Smile
great job Lou xx

FOUND TREASURES
LIVE Fridays 10:00 CET (9:00PM GMT)

FireStorm
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2009 4:03:28 PM

Lou rocks... so we dont have to!

FireStorm
Show: Discover Trance Radio Show
Time: Every Saturday from 19:00 GMT
Javs
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:22:28 AM

New Month New Interview \o/ Cant wait to find out who it is this time !!!!
Im sure you'll have a nice surprise in store for us Blu !!!!

FOUND TREASURES

DiscoverTrance
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:06:02 PM

me either... bring it on laura!
Javs
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2009 11:42:25 AM

Lou u really know how to build up the Tension !!!!!

FOUND TREASURES

DiscoverTrance
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2009 12:15:50 PM

The next interview will be added at some point today.. but my lips are sealed :-p
Javs
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2009 12:55:43 PM

And now a few handcuffs to tie your hands on ur back
And you would not said anything wink shhhhhhh

FOUND TREASURES

Blu_Lou
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2009 5:43:02 PM

A bit of tension helps build the mood... wink

... and for interviews... wink

Anyway... allll will be revealed VERY soon... you'll love... i hope...

Very well done for the sealed lips, Mr DT... and yeh, i'll remove your handcuffs later.... mmmmmaybe...... wink

Lxxx

The only limit to your dreams, is you.....

~ \o/ CHECK OUT THE LATEST INTERVIEWS, WITH ME, IN THE 'INTERVIEWS' SECTION... ENJOY!... \o/ ~